I’m always searching for new easy dinner ideas and one of my favorite kitchen tools to use to make a quick and easy dinner is my slow cooker. This week I found a delicious recipe on (of all things) my grocery store’s website, so I took the recipe, adapted it to work in my crockpot, and then tried this Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Ragu out for the first time. I served it with papparadelle pasta and garlic bread and it turned out really delicious! Let’s jump into this easy Crockpot Shredded Beef Ragu recipe!
How to Make Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Ragu
- 2-3 lb. roast
- fresh garlic
- fresh basil
- beef broth
- onion powder
- marinara sauce
- pasta of choice (I used Papparadelle)
This is such a unique crockpot recipe because if your family loves italian or spaghetti, this is a great way to mix things up a bit and try new recipes that don’t use ground beef. In your crockpot place your roast, peeled fresh garlic, basil, and beef broth. Season the roast well with salt and pepper and onion powder. My family doesn’t like onion, so if you want to add onions rather than onion powder, that works too.
Cook on high for 6 hours and then remove the beef from the crockpot and shred. Pull off any fatty pieces at this time too.
Remove the basil, garlic, and beef broth from the crockpot and then place shredded beef back inside the crockpot.
Pour one jar of your favorite tomato sauce over top and stir well. Let heat for 30 minutes while you cook your pasta.
Once pasta is cooked, serve shredded beef ragu over top of noodles and then top with fresh grated parmesan cheese.
This meal pairs great with homemade garlic bread and a glass of red wine! You can even sprinkle fresh basil on top if you are so inclined!
What I like about this recipe is that it feels and tastes very high end, but in fact it’s *really* easy to make with only a few ingredients! So it’s an easy way to wow your friends with a fancy dinner that took no effort at all! This is a great meal idea for a couples dinner night or for Christmas or New Year’s Eve!
You’ll also enjoy…
Grab the full recipe below.
Crockpot Shredded Beef Ragu
- 1 2-3 lb. beef roast
- 1 bunch fresh garlic, peeled
- 4-5 leaves fresh basil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 jar marinara sauce of choice
- pasta noodles, cooked
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- In your crockpot, add roast, beef broth, basil, and garlic.
- Season roast well with salt and pepper and onion powder.
- Cook on high for 6-8 hours.
- Remove beef from broth and shred.
- Empty broth, basil leaves, and garlic from slow cooker and add can of marinara sauce.
- Return beef to marinara sauce in slow cooker and let cook on low for 30 minutes.
- Cook your pasta and garlic bread while waiting.
- Serve shredded beef over noodles with fresh grated parmesan on top. Enjoy!
Pin it for later…