Several years back we went to Disney and one of my FAVORITE meals during our visit was the Tonga Toast for breakfast at Kona Cafe in Disney’s Polynesian Resort. Tonga Toast is essentially a stuffed French Toast recipe with bananas in the center, a great cinnamon sugar crust, and a delicious strawberry compote topping that really is the “icing on the cake” so to speak! This was so good that I had to find a copycat Tonga Toast recipe to share with you guys and if you ever visit Disney, I highly recommend hitting up Kona Cafe and enjoying a delicious Tonga Toast plate paired with their renowned Kona coffee!
How to make Disney’s Tonga Toast at Home
I started by making my strawberry compote sauce. See the recipe…you’ll slice up your strawberries, add vanilla and sugar, and blend well.
How to Make Stuffed French Toast
Next you’ll want to start slicing up your bread into 2-3 inch slices.
You will pull the center of the bread out just enough to make a hole to fill it with bananas, but don’t go all the way through!
Peel and slice up bananas into thin slices and put in the center of your toast…
Then place the piece of bread you pulled out back on top and press down gently.
Once that’s ready, you’ll want to mix your batter (eggs, cinnamon, sugar, and milk) in a bowl and dip your bread into the bowl thoroughly coating all sides. Just hold the top on your banana side and it won’t fall out. After coated place into a skillet with canola oil preheated to around 350 or below.
Cook for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
Once done dip the whole thing in cinnamon sugar and set aside.
Serve your Tonga Toast with strawberry compote sauce drizzled over top and ENJOY!!
It’s SO good and really a great summer time breakfast recipe!! Serve your Tonga Toast with a large glass of milk or a cup of coffee and enjoy!
Disney’s Kona Cafe Copycat Tonga Toast
- TONGA TOAST:
- 1 loaf of unsliced bakery style bread sliced into 2-3 inch thick slices
- 2 bananas thinly sliced
- CINNAMON SUGAR DIP:
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 quart canola oil for frying
- FOR BATTER:
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- FOR STRAWBERRY COMPOTE:
- 10 sliced strawberries
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- FOR TONGA TOAST: Start by cutting your bread into 2-3 inch thick slices.
- Carefully pull out the center of the bread, but don't go all the way through, you just want a spot to add your bananas in.
- Slice up your bananas and add into center and replace the bread you tore out.
- FOR CINNAMON SUGAR TOPPING: Mix sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl and then put on a plate to dip the Tonga Toast in once it's fried. Set aside once mixed.
- FOR BATTER: Whip eggs in medium bowl and add milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- Preheat oil to 350 degrees F in a large skillet. Don't get oil too hot or it will burn the toast.
- Dip stuffed toast into batter mixture being sure to cover both sides, then place carefully into hot oil.
- Cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. Flip toast over after 2 minutes and cook for another 2 minutes on other side. Remove and drain excess oil.
- Roll toast in cinnamon-sugar. Repeat for each piece of toast.
- FOR STRAWBERRY COMPOTE (you may choose to make this prior to making the toast): slice up 10 strawberries, place 6 of the strawberries into a small saucepan with vanilla and sugar and heat until boiling.
- Remove strawberries from heat and pour mixture into blender with 4 non-cooked, fresh strawberries and blend well. Pour into bowl for Tonga Toast sauce.