With summer just around the corner, it’s crucial that you have a shaded area in your outdoor space – so you can cool off! So, have you thought about installing a covered patio to maximize your outdoor living? From simple awnings to intricate gazebos, we’ve got all the covered patio ideas for you below!
Table of Contents
How much does it cost to build a small covered patio?
The price that it will cost a homeowner to build an outdoor patio is going to vary based on a few factors. However, the national average to put in a patio cover is $16,667. Depending on the materials used, you can see price per square foot at anywhere from $22 to $75.
So, what price will you be looking at if you choose to build a covered patio area?
Firstly, it’s important to speak with a landscaping professional (if you decide not to do a DIY project). They’ll be able to give you the best cost estimate based on your space, the materials you need, and the market prices where you live.
Secondly, think about what type of patio you want to build. Do you want an enclosed patio complete with foundations, walls, windows, doors, and a patio roof? This is typically going to cost around $20,000.
Or, do you want an open-air freestanding patio that compliments your living area and interior design of your house? On the other hand, you could think about putting in a small patio poolside that has a seating area and skylights so you can host pool parties at night.
Thirdly, think about the location of where you want your patio to be in regards to your outdoor living space. For example – do you want a cabana type patio design? Or do you want a covered patio so you can have an outdoor kitchen or a fire pit under it? There are so many possibilities out there!
Is a covered patio a good investment?
A covered patio is not a good investment…it’s a GREAT investment and home improvement! Statistics show that an outdoor patio will add 8-10% of home value and also earn an ROI of over 80%.
I like the idea of a covered patio because there isn’t just one design idea that you can go with. Instead, there are a variety of different backyard patio designs that you could incorporate. For instance, if you want to dine al fresco all summer long – go for an open air concrete patio with a large dining area.
However, if you want something to bring up the ambiance – think about putting an outdoor fireplace in your patio space. You can put patio furniture – think a cozy sectional or a long dining table complete with pendant lights abound. Heck, you could even have a covered patio with greenery and a hot tub!
See what I mean? There are seriously so many different decor ideas out there – and all of these patio cover ideas are a great investment for your home!
What are some good materials for a covered patio?
Traditionally, most people will use wood, aluminum, and vinyl to build their patio cover. However, in recent years, alumawood has become increasingly popular. It’s a material that looks like wood, but it requires less maintenance. It has increased durability, is tougher, and can withstand things such as termites.
However, it really depends on your space and what you’re looking for. Again, we recommend talking to a local professional that can help you choose the best materials/look for your covered patio.
If you see an idea you like below, make sure to save it and show it to whoever you are working with!
Covered Patio Ideas:
- Check out this fun and colorful outdoor space! I love the string lighting, along with the hanging chair and large sectional. I’d love to spend time reading a magazine on this covered patio!
2. This open air outdoor patio is gorgeous. Complete with timber roof rafters that blend into the house, this patio space is perfect for entertaining guests.
3. If you’re set on an open-air patio – check out this design. The patterned area rug goes perfectly with the farmhouse-style dining table and woven chairs.
4. If you want something that isn’t a complete structure – take a look at these shade sails over the concrete patio. Not only does it provide extra shade, it adds a layer of personality to the backyard.
5. This custom-made steel frame covered patio blends in perfectly with the house! It allows room for people to relax under the shade, but also has a dining area directly in the sunlight if you want some extra rays.
6. Check out this gorgeous covered patio outdoor living room! Made of reclaimed brick, the lounging area sits poolside so you can keep a close eye on your kiddos as they take a dip.
7. This covered patio embodies a more traditional patio look. Complete with off-white paint that accentuates the blue-gray house trim, this covered patio idea is super pretty.
8. This large covered patio features wooden beams and a dining area. Or, walk down the steps and you’ll have the luxury of lounging by the fire pit.
9. If you’re thinking about adding a covered patio and a fireplace, check out this design. Here, you’ll see a lot of natural lighting along with some outdoor lighting. Read our Outdoor Lighting Ideas article here.
10. Check out those outdoor curtains right above the patio’s arched openings. They add a touch of personality to the space, while also allowing the patio to be more private if needed.
11. A combination of painted structural steel and Alaskan yellow cedar, this covered patio brings the backyard to light.
12. This smaller patio is a great spot to lay back, drink a glass of wine, and relax! With a roof overhang, this space is sure to offer shade during the warm summer months.
13. I love the look of this enclosed patio – just look at the screen surround. And don’t miss the pendant lighting!
14. If you want more of a modern look – this may be it! Lined with brick pavers, you’ll be dining al fresco all summer long at this covered patio!
15. If you want a covered patio that screams top-notch architectural design – look at this example. For instance – it features beautiful brick arched openings that open up to the rest of the yard.
In conclusion, if you liked this article on covered patio ideas, go check out these: