Have you seen my Butterfly Island Reveal, my shopping trip for the items we needed, and me and my son’s trip to the Kids Workshop? Now that my Butterfly Island is complete, we get to sit back, water it, and watch it grow this summer. It’s truly been so much fun working on our backyard together as a family and having a little reminder of something we designed ourselves that we have to be proud of.
After finished up this garden, we’re SO ready to move on with other plans for our back yard…and I have a little video tour of our backyard, our plans, and some tips for you on creating your OWN butterfly island with Home Depot!
If you didn’t stick around to see the whole video, basically I am showing you guys what we plan to work on next in our backyard. We have a few areas that need spruced up and extra attention each year, so we plan to head back to Home Depot very soon to start our work on those areas.
The best part of this entire process had to be picking out the flowers that we wanted to use. There were so many gorgeous flowers at Home Depot and that probably took the longest of all, but we really enjoyed every minute of it.
My TIPS for planting a butterfly island:
1. Take your time and plan it out. The more time you take to plan the less trips you’ll need to take to Home Depot. Our Home Depot isn’t super close, so we really wanted to be sure we had everything we needed, but then as you decide to add elements you can go back.
2. Involve your whole family. Get your kids involved and use it as an educational experience. Our son got to see earthworms and play with them and see how mommy and daddy planted the flowers and have been watering them. Get them involved or give them some responsibility with helping care for your creation.
3. Once you’re complete be diligent in checking it daily when watering for weeds. We’ve found weeds growing already in it and it’s easy for a garden to become overrun with weeds quickly. So take a few minutes each day to pull the few weeds in the bed and take care of your creation.
4. Keep it butterfly friendly by not spraying or using pesticides or weed killers. If you use chemicals your island won’t attract the butterflies it normally would.
Sign up for the Home Depot Garden Club HERE and we’ll both be entered in to win a $1,000 gift card to Home Depot. Why sign up? Here’s some benefits:
- $5 off your next $50 lawn & garden purchase, just for signing up
- Over $300 in annual email savings
- Project ideas, how-to videos
- Expert advice from the team at The Home Depot, customized to your region of the country
It’s home improvement time, and The Home Depot has everything you need to #DigIn for Spring. No matter what projects you want to tackle, they have great values on all you need. They’re ready to help you with renovation ideas and expert advice, too.
Get over $300 in email exclusive savings each year, sneak peeks on new products, monthly lawn & garden ideas for your region and access to The Home Depot’s gardening experts. Click here to join the world’s largest garden community today! Or go to homedepot.com/gardenclub to see some of the many benefits of membership.