One of my FAVORITE color combinations is red, white, and blue…so obviously I love all the fun patriotic holidays that we celebrate each year! Today I wanted to share with you this easy Homemade Donut recipe with the option to decorate your donuts to go with the holidays. Grab your favorite sprinkles and a big glass of milk because these Red White and Blue Homemade Donuts are going to knock your socks off and are a fun activity for you and your kiddos to make for the upcoming Memorial Day or July 4th holidays! You could even gift them to friends and family or bring them to potlucks and cookouts as a delicious patriotic dessert.
How to make Homemade Donuts
You start this recipe by making your glaze using the butter, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla, and lemon juice and then setting that aside. Next up, you combine your ingredients for the donuts and place the donut dough into a piping bag and pipe it into the donut pan (here’s a donut pan you can use). Next, let the donuts bake for about six minutes, then let them cool.
Don’t be worried, the tops will come out lighter than the bottoms, but they still taste just as amazing as they are about to look!
Supplies Needed for Homemade Donuts
Once the donuts have cooled, dip them in the glaze you made first and sprinkle with your favorite colored sprinkles or toppings!
You can store the donuts in an air tight container for several days!
You’ll also like these other July 4th Desserts and Crafts…
Homemade Donut Recipe
Patriotic Homemade Donuts
For the glaze
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
For the donuts
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.Mix together sugar and lemon zest- set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Stir in sugar mixture.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until combined.
- Put batter into piping bag. Fill donut pan half full.
- Bake for about 6 minutes. Donuts will be light on top and darker on bottom.
- For the Glaze: Whisk together and then set aside.
- Once donuts are cool, dip the top of the donut into the glaze and sprinkle with sprinkles or toppings of choice!
Pin it for later…