Sunday nights are GRILLING NIGHTS in our household…and we never pass up the opportunity to grill. Sometimes it’s just easier to do all the cooking on one surface, so I thought to myself…how can I use the grill to make our evening dessert, as well?? So just in time for Memorial Day and July 4th I’m sharing this Stars and Stripes Grilled Cherry Skillet pie. You literally need two ingredients to make this pie along with your grill to make this deliciously easy Fourth of July or Memorial Day dessert!
Table of Contents
Stars and Stripes Grilled Cherry Skillet Pie Recipe and Instructions
This pie is SO simple. You’ll need a cast iron skillet, cleaned and oiled, to start. Then you take your Pillsbury Pie Crust and lay the first one down in the base of the pan.
Open your can of Cherry Pie Filling and empty onto pie crust and spread around.
How to Make a Skillet Pie
Next take a star shaped cookie cutter (funny side story–I literally used a cookie cutter from my kids play dough set for this LOL–washed of course!) and use your second pie crust to cut out stars to top your pie with. Once your pie is covered is stars, give your stars a quick sprinkle of sugar and place on the grill for 20-25 minutes.
Check your pie every 5 minutes after 20 minutes to see how it’s doing, Depending on the heat of your grill, it may need to be on longer or shorter…so just watch for the edges of the pie to turn golden brown and then remove with a hot pad.
The pie will likely continue to bake in the skillet after you remove it, so factor that in to your baking time.
Serve your pie warm with a scoop of delicious vanilla ice cream and you’re all set for the perfect and EASY dessert for summer!!
You’d also enjoy these other Fourth of July desserts:
Stars and Stripes Grilled Cherry Skillet Pie Recipe
Stars and Stripes Skillet Cherry Pie
- 1 package store bought pie crust
- 1 large can cherry pie filling
- star cookie cutter
- vanilla ice cream
- Start with oiling a cast iron skillet and spreading one store bought pie crust evenly across the bottom and up the sides.
- Add one can of cherry pie filling and spread around pie crust.
- Take your second pie crust and use a star shaped cookie cutter to cut out pieces.
- Spread the star shaped pie crusts on top of the pie filling and then place on the grill. Lightly brush the star shapes with an egg wash to ensure that they do not burn.
- Cook on the grill for about 20 minutes, checking every 5 minutes or so. Once you see the pie crust on the sides starting to brown, it's likely done.
- Slice and serve with a huge scoop of vanilla ice cream! Enjoy!
Pin it for later…