I’ve always been a huge fan of tasty baked goods. My husband teases me whenever we go anywhere because I love exploring little bakeries with fun little treats. What can I say, I have a sweet tooth? We’re actually in Napa Valley, CA as I type, which is fun because they have loads of little fun places to try out, but they seem to have more of an emphasis on natural, organic ingredients without lots of sweeteners and artificial colors. It got me thinking about cooking and baking in my own life and today I want to share with you my recipe for Toffee Banana Rum Bread using Bob’s Red Mill Organic Unbleached White Flour. I feel like this is so much better than your traditional banana bread recipe and it’s one of the best versions of banana bread recipes out there!
Truthfully, I never had considered that the flour I was using may not be the best quality for what I was making. I feel like I discovered quickly that not all flour is created equal. You can just see the difference in the recipe as you started to measure the flour for the batter.
Organic Unbleached White Flour is freshly milled from Organic hard red wheat. Both the bran and the germ have been removed leaving the endosperm that is made into white flour. It is not enriched with any additives. This is the same high protein flour used by professional bakers and produces high, well-textured loaves of bread equally as well as it produces light, airy baked goods.
This easy banana bread recipe turns out so great because the rum extract adds the perfect fun little sweet addition and the toffee bits are so great on top. And if you’re not into the Rum/Toffee addition, substitute the rum for vanilla, leave the toffee bits off, and just enjoy a really rich, airy banana bread with Bob’s Red Mill flour. This will make the perfect Mother’s Day or Easter brunch addition and it will make your whole house smell heavenly!
Get the full recipe below!
Toffee Banana Rum Bread
- 2 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill Organic Flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas about 3 medium bananas
- 1 cup chopped nuts optional
- 1 1/3 cups Heath Bits of Brickle divided
- Heat oven to 350
- Grease and flour two loaf pans
- Stir together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder in large bowl
- Add milk, oil, rum, egg and banana.
- Stir until well blended
- Spread 1 1/4 cups batter in the bottom of each pan
- Top each batter with a 1/2 cup of toffee bits
- Gently spread about 1 cup remaining batter in each pan
- Sprinkle remaining bits over batter
- Bake 30-35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean