This summer I have admittedly eaten worse than I intended to and have found myself with some not necessarily unexpected weight gain…happens to the best of us, right?! As a result, I’ve been trying to find some healthier options for my diet, but in ways that I can still enjoy the things that I really like. Today I wanted to show you my latest sweet treat concoction with this Healthier Banana Split or sometimes people call them Breakfast Banana Splits. Basically, it’s the same banana you know and love, but instead of being topped with ice cream, you’re adding Greek yogurt, some granola, and fruit of your choice, if desired. I like to add Tru Fru Frozen Blueberries from Costco to the top of them to give that pop of chocolate, but without all the calories the regular hot fudge would cost me!
How to make a Breakfast Banana Split
This is such an easy treat. To make a breakfast banana split, which is a healthier banana split option, I started by slicing my banana down the center and leaving the peel along the sides. I then sliced the banana up into bite sized pieces to make it easier to eat. Next, I added a small container of Honey Greek yogurt (my personal favorite, but any yogurt will work) down the center of my banana. Then I topped it with my favorite gluten free granola and finally, the best part, Tru Fru Frozen Blueberries!
You can eat this in the afternoon as a healthier banana split option or you can make this for breakfast in the morning as a Breakfast Banana Split! You choose, either way it’s a great treat full of flavor. I’ve even started making my kids them for a great after school snack idea!
Breakfast Banana Split
- 1 whole banana sliced down the center and then into bites
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (flavor of choice)
- 1/2 cup gluten free granola
- 10 Tru Fru Frozen Blueberries
- Leaving your banana in the peel, slice once down the center and then slice horizontally to create bite sized pieces the length of the banana.
- Gently separate the banana down the center and then spoon Greek yogurt down the middle.
- Sprinkle gluten free granola down the center and then top with Tru Fru Frozen Blueberries.