Summer time, to me, means getting out and getting our grill on. My husband and I love to grill (so much so that we even started a new grilling blog) and we never miss an opportunity for some fresh food hot off the grill, filled with spices and flavors. Sometimes it’s something we’ve planned a day in advance and have picked out the perfect cuts of meat, marinated it overnight, and is a much-anticipated meal. Other times we whip something up quickly and have our meal outside on the deck at 8:30 pm. Tonight I want to share with you an easy grilling recipe that your family will enjoy. What I love about this recipe is that you can make them in advance, it’s a no mess recipe, and everything is made all in one foil packet! A mom and dad’s dream dinner, if you will! Honestly, you don’t even need plates if you don’t want them! These Grilled Hobo Foil Packets are full of flavor and when paired with fresh veggies and a thick slice of Sargento® Sliced Sharp Natural Cheddar Cheese on top, you get the perfect amount of flavor and cheesy goodness all in one delicious bite. Let’s jump into how easy these are to make!
How to Make Grilled Hobo Foil Packets
The nice thing about this recipe (and all the recipes I share really) is that you can modify according to your tastes. If you don’t like the veggies I used, don’t use them. Add your own twist to the packets. But for the purposes of this recipe, I used Idaho potatoes, fresh carrots, green beans, and some yellow onion. I started by making my meat mixture using 1 1/2 lbs. of 80/20 ground beef, one packet of dry onion soup mix, and one egg.
I mixed it all together well and then formed into four large beef patties.
Next up, prepare your veggies. I washed and skinned my potatoes and then prepared my carrots, onions, and green beans. I would recommend slicing the potatoes relatively thin (so it doesn’t take as long to cook) and cutting your carrots in half.
Now that everything is prepared, you can start making your packets. You’ll need olive oil, garlic salt, and salt and pepper for this step. You’ll also need two long pieces of aluminum foil per Hobo Packet that you’re making. I recommend the heavy-duty type.
Start by laying your aluminum foil down long ways, then add your potatoes, carrots, and green beans. Next up, add a few slices of onion on top and then drizzle with olive oil and season with garlic salt and salt and pepper.
After you’ve done that, then add your hamburger patty on top. DO NOT ADD YOUR Sargento® Sliced Sharp Natural Cheddar Cheese yet. It will melt off. This will be the last step.
From there, we wrap them up. I start by pulling the two shortest sides of the foil together at the top and then fold downwards to create a tent.
From there, take the sides and start rolling them up to meet the top so that you create the perfect little foil packet dinner. You will repeat this process for every foil packet that you make. Be sure to seal up all sides well so that the heat doesn’t escape while cooking. The internal heat is what cooks it all nicely and the meat on top gives great seasoning and flavor to the veggies below.
Place those beautiful packets on the grill at 400 degrees and let them cook for about 35-40 minutes.
Once your timer goes off, gently open up one of the packets (don’t destroy them in the process) and survey the results. Are the carrots cooked? Are the potatoes soft? Is the meat done? If you can answer yes to all those questions then comes the moment of truth when you get to add the final delicious touch to your meal! Carefully open up the foil packets and place your cheese on top. We like to use Sargento® Sliced Sharp Natural Cheddar Cheese but if you prefer a different flavor, Sargento offers other great varieties such as Sargento® Sliced Swiss Natural Cheese and Sargento® Sliced Provolone Natural Cheese with Natural Smoke Flavor. They all melt so beautifully on top of our burgers plus they’re all 100% real, natural cheese!
Once you place it on, gently close the lid to your grill and let melt for about a minute, and then reopen and enjoy your cheesy perfection!
Pull them off the grill, open up and eat right out of the foil! It’s that easy. And the best part, no clean up! All you have to do is pitch the foil and put your grill away and you’re done!
My family pulls out hot sauce, ketchup, mustard, and all their favorite hamburger toppings, but quite honestly…the flavor of these stand for themselves without any condiments.
*No significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rBST-treated and non-rBST-treated cows
**Our cheese is made from milk that does not contain antibiotics
The final step is just to sit back and enjoy a home cooked meal without any of the fuss of cleanup that a normal dinner night typically includes! Yay you!
I sincerely hope you enjoyed this easy summer grilling recipe.
Visit Easy Home Meals for great recipe and meal solutions and to enter the June Dairy Month Sweepstakes* for a chance to win up to $10,000 in prizes!
*Sargento Foods is not affiliated with the June Dairy Month Sweepstakes.
Hobo Foil Packet Recipe
Grilled Hobo Foil Packets
- 1-1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 packet dry, onion soup mix
- 1 large egg
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 can green beans (or fresh if desired)
- 1 small bag of baby carrots, cut in half
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- olive oil
- garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices Sargento® Sliced Sharp Natural Cheddar Cheese
- Start by combining ground beef, onion soup mix, and egg in a large bowl and mix up. Then form into four large hamburger patties.
- Prepared your vegetables: peel and slice potatoes, cut carrots in half, slice up onion, and prepare green beans.
- Cut two, two foot long pieces of aluminum foil and lay them on top of each other. Then layer potatoes, carrots, onions, and green beans on top. Drizzle with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt and pepper and garlic salt.
- Add hamburger patty on top and sprinkle with salt and pepper and then seal the foil packet up on all sides (being careful not to squish the contents, as well as carefully close up all sides). Instructions on how to fold up the foil packets in blog post above.
- Place on the grill around 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until all vegetables are thoroughly cooked. Then gently open up each packet, being careful not to tear the foil, and place a slice of Sargento® Sliced Sharp Natural Cheddar Cheese on top. Close grill lid for another minute to melt the cheese.
- Once cheese is melted, pull off the grill and enjoy immediately. You can eat straight from the foil, if desired!