With all the yummy Christmas treats I’ve already shared, I have ONE MORE post-Christmas cookie idea that you’re sure to love. I think it would make an EXCELLENT Valentine’s Day Cookie recipe…but if nothing else, these Cherry Coconut Cookies are so yummy and deliciously easy to make! My mom gave me the recipe a while ago, but she made them for Christmas this year and I can’t stop eating them!! They are so soft and buttery and just delicious…
Cherry Coconut Cookies
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup Crisco
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 1/4 cups coconut
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon cherry juice
- Cream together Crisco, sugar, almond extract, cherry juice, and egg.
- Add all the dry ingredients and fold in cherries and coconut.
- Scoop out 1 rounded tablespoon onto greased cookie sheet spaced about 1 1/2" apart.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
These cookies have been passed down as a family recipe for a number of years. You can add more cherry juice and take away the almond extract if you want the pretty pink color shown in the photos.
I made these for my son’s school and I had the school secretary calling me saying that the teachers all wanted the recipe for these amazing cherry cookies!
If you like this recipe, you’ll love my GREEN Cherry version of these same cookies. They are just as delicious and even better for a St. Patrick’s Day cookie!!