During the week, I feel like we get into a bit of a Groundhog Day type routine. I get up quite early and get to work while my kiddos are still asleep. I like to start my day early by choice so that I can be done with work early and home at a decent enough time to see my kids off the bus and have dinner on the table early. During the winter months our calendar isn’t quite as hectic, but during the warm days of spring and summer we are busy with baseball and outdoor activities, so having the ability to snack on the go is very important. Lately, I haven’t liked the options we have for snacking, so I came up with an easy Peanut Butter Chocolate Homemade Cereal Bars for my family. We can snack easily on the go now in the mornings before work and school.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Homemade Cereal Bars
- 1/2 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup rpeanut butter
- 3 cups General Mills Chocolate Peanut Butter Shredded Wheat Cereal
- 1 cup General Mills Multi Grain Cheerios
- 1 cup chocolate melted (optional) for drizzling
- Using a food processor or a plastic bag and rolling pin, chop up the shredded wheat cereal.
- Once shredded wheat is chopped, use a microwave safe bowl and combine honey, peanut butter, and brown sugar and microwave until bubbly. Then mix together well.
- Add Cheerios to shredded wheat mixture and pour the honey/peanut butter/brown sugar mixture over top of the cereal and mix well.
- Pour cereal mixture into a well greased 8x8 baking pan and push into the pan until even. Place in fridge to cool for 30 minutes. Cut bars into squares or rectangles once cool.
- Optional: melt a small cup of chocolate in the microwave and drizzle over bars once cut.
Start with General Mills’ new Peanut Butter Chocolate Blasted Shreds for the base of this bar. I put mine in the food processor and briefly chopped, but you can just use a baggie and a rolling pin if you’d like the bars “chunkier” in texture.
After you’ve crunched up your cereal, in a microwave safe glass, put your peanut butter, honey, and brown sugar together and microwave for 1.5-2.5 minutes or until bubbling. Stir mixture together well, then pour over your cereal mixture.
Add in your Cheerios and stir the mixture together well.
In an 8×8 baking dish (greased WELL), gently pat your cereal bars into the dish and smooth out. Then place in fridge for 30 minutes to cool. Once cool, slice into bars. Melt chocolate in the microwave (if desired) and drizzle over top of the bars, letting harden. Then package the bars into plastic bags for ease of travel or for lunches.
The bars were really tasty and I had friends over while I was making them and they gave the stamp of approval. I really like that I know exactly what’s in the bar and that they were quick and easy to make.
Plus, they were made with whole grain wheat cereal, which definitely puts my mind at ease with my family getting some goodness in their daily snacks.
Pin it for later…
It looks delicious and pretty.I would love to bake this on Friday eve…
Thanks so much! Our entire family has enjoyed these delicious bars.