At the beginning of summer I made GRAND plans to do a master bathroom renovation…I had chosen tile, new bathroom fixtures, a new light fixture, and mirror frame. I was working on getting new countertops or replacing my vanity when all of a sudden, my husband and I made the huge decision to try to sell our house. Anyone that has ever sold their house before can tell you…selling is HARD work. You have lots of decluttering, updating, and cleaning to do before your house is even listed. And for several weeks, we spent time making these updates to our home to get it show worthy! Today I’m sharing with you the simple master bathroom updates to make before selling your home.
My house started out with a very simple and UGLY builders grade mirror and one of those 8 bulb lights with a mirror background. It was an eyesore and I struggled to find something I liked for what seemed like forever. You know I’d made over other bathrooms in the past, so I was chatting with my dad, who’s a contractor, about lighting options and he mentioned that he’s always gone with Kichler Lighting for jobs for his clients. I started looking through their fixtures and found several I simply had to have!!
There were so many options, but I ultimately selected the Tully 4 Bath Light in Chrome. It is so simple, but so pretty and luxurious looking! The light arrived in the mail and my husband dutifully put it up. Even though we put in a light with 4 less bulbs, it’s 10x brighter than what we had!!
We paired the new fixture with a MirrorMate frame on our mirror. It took our standard, unframed builder’s grade mirror and added a touch of class to the whole vanity. Those two simple updates took our master bathroom from “ho hum” to “WOW!” in a few hours worth of work!!!
- Put yourself in the buyers shoes…consider neutral, timeless updates. If you have a very specific taste or theme, reign it in and focus on something EVERYONE should be able to like on some level.
- Declutter, declutter, declutter. Before our house went on the market, we used to have bathroom products covering our countertops every day. Now, it’s all stored away underneath the sinks nicely. I then added a pretty vase from World Market and some greenery in it to create dimension and add a focal point on the counter.
- Open up the windows in all your rooms and let the light in! For showings and staging, be sure to highlight all the natural light that you can in each room. Open the blinds, pull the curtains back, and let the sun shine in.
- Make sure your bathroom smells nice. I purchased a pretty oil set from World Market that’s both decorative and lets off a pleasant smell.
- Update simple things like light fixtures, mirrors, and faucets if they are out of date. Kichler makes gorgeous light fixtures of all sizes, varieties, and finishes and are very budget friendly and quality. MirrorMate sells custom made frames for your vanity mirrors, also in a wide variety of colors and finishes. And I prefer Delta Faucets to upgrade my faucets and bathroom shower fixtures!
I’m SO thrilled with how pretty this room looks now and how much brighter the Kichler Light is….it may not be a $1,000+ makeover, but we were able to make a simple and gorgeous update with minimal hours and on a budget…because who wants to spend thousands of dollars on a room when you’re looking to sell the house anyways.