Back in July and August I had the pleasure of being contacted by Darice to work with them on a project that would appear in Pat Catan’s stores in September. The project was to be a Fall Harvest themed project and would appear in an in-store endcap with all the supplies one would need to create the project. So today I’m FINALLY sharing with you my Fall Pumpkin Wall Decor that I made the the store!!
Here’s what you need for this project:
- 12-15 wooden rulers
- Americana Orange Acrylic Paint in a variety of shades
- Americana Chalk Paint in “Vintage” and “Yesteryear”
- Painter’s Tape/Washi Tape for striping
- White paint
- 12×12 wood board
- Paint brushes
- Saw or knife or box cutters to cut rulers
- Hot Glue and Glue Gun
- Ribbon for hanging and to make bow
- Paint your wooden board with Americana Chalk Paint in Vintage Blue. Apply on top and all sides and let dry.
2. Once dry, use painter’s tape or washi tape to mark lines on board and paint stripes with Americana Chalk Paint in Yesteryear. Let dry and remove tape to reveal stripes.
3. While board is drying, begin painting rulers. Use a wide array of shades of orange and even mix the shades, as needed, for variety in the rulers.
4. Once orange has dried, mix a little bit of white paint with water and brush over your rulers, then wipe off with a paper towel. This will create a whitewashed effect on your rulers to antique them a bit.
5. Arrange your rulers on a hard surface to determine the layout and how you’d like them to look together. You can choose to alternate lengths of the pieces you cut to give the project more dimension.
6. From your computer or on the Internet, choose a silhouette of a pumpkin and print out on paper (11×17 works best, but 8×11 will work too). You can search Google Images for Pumpkin images and find a wide variety of options.
7. Cut your pumpkin printout out from the paper with scissors and place on top of the rulers you arranged in Step 3. Trace your pumpkin onto your rulers.
8. Use a saw or knife to cut the rulers the lengths desired for your project. Do them one at a time or label them so you know what piece they make up for your pumpkin art. Use box cutters to cut the trickier pieces.
9. Once all pieces are cut, hot glue them onto your painted wooden board and let dry. Add a little green piece at the top for the stem of the pumpkin.
10. Add ribbon to the back of the board with hot glue and/or nails/tacks and adorn with a bow if desired.
11. Hang and enjoy your Fall Harvest Pumpkin Ruler Art on your front door or on your mantel! Enjoy your hard work!
Pretty fun, huh?! Here’s what it looked like in the stores (which you see if you follow me on Instagram).
I’ve teamed up with a group of 75 bloggers to share tons of Fall Harvest Ideas with you! From crafts, to recipes, to home decor and more…we have you covered for Fall inspiration!
Check the gallery below and visit some of my blogging friends to see their awesome ideas!!
I Love it!!!! So So cute!! Thanks for all your work on this!
This is absolutely adorable Abbey. As a teacher, I LOVE the ruler theme! And with the color washing you could pass them off as vintage rulers:) Looks amazing- pinned! And thanks so much for organizing this great hop!
Super cute!!! Pinned!
This is SO cute! Love the different oranges on the pumpkin, and the white wash really makes it pop even more!
This is awesome! I love that every ruler has a slightly different tone 🙂
I would love if you share it with my fall themed party Big Autumn Bash:
Super adorable!! As a teacher, I love that it is made out of rulers. Love it!!
Great idea! I love how the cut edges came out a bit rough – gives it some character. TFS! 🙂
This looks great! It reminds me of a tray I made out of rulers…but of course this pumpkin is much cuter! Great job!
This is so SO cute! I love how creative you are! This would be such a fun decoration for Fall, Halloween and Thanksgiving! Great job!!! 🙂
This is such a great project and how awesome that it is featured at the store!
I Love how you used rulers to craft a pumpkin!
Visiting from TT&J linky party!
This is such a cute use of rulers, I love the creativity!
This is so cute! I love how every ruler is a different shade of orange. Great project!
Wow! How fabulous is this! here do you come up with all this fall fabulousness? 🙂