An old family staple has always been Stuffed Peppers. I can remember hating stuffed pepper night as a kid, but these days, that feeling has changed. My family LOVES mexican food and honestly, it can be hard incorporating veggies that we all like into a dinner. So I came up with an easy summer recipe to get my kiddos excited about a new meal and trying something else! Introducing the Mexican Stuffed Peppers! Mexican Stuffed Peppers take the traditional stuffed pepper recipe that you know and love and kick it up a notch with taco seasoning, black beans, green chiles, cumin spices, and more! This is still the easy to make and reliable family recipe you’re used to, but just with some added flare and flavor to make your family go “WOW! These are good!”. Let’s jump into this fun Mexican inspired family meal idea…
How to Make Mexican Stuffed Peppers
This recipe is very simple to make, you use white rice, black beans, tomato sauce, green chiles, beef, and cheese to make a fun version of an old time favorite.
Gather up your ingredients and then start by browning your ground beef, draining, and adding taco seasoning to the mix according to instructions. While the beef is being prepared I start cutting my peppers in half and place them on top of the Hunt’s Tomato Sauce mixture I’ve prepared (see recipe for details).
Next, combine tomato sauce, diced chile peppers, and seasonings “to taste” and cook in a saucepan on the stove.
Then fill your peppers with the taco meat, rice, and black beans prepared (according to the above recipe) to create my stuffed peppers.
Before putting in the oven, I top my stuffed peppers with the remaining tomato sauce mixture and add cheese to the whole thing (the more cheese the better I say!).
After my peppers are stuffed and ready they are cooked in the oven for 30-45 minutes until done and melted…they will smell delish!
The cheese makes a nice crispy crust on top of the pepper and the tomato sauce adds a great taste to the whole pepper that compliments the spices nicely.
Once out of the oven, I add a dollop of sour cream on top of the pepper and serve hot. AND they warm up great the next day too (I had it today for lunch!!)
Mexican Stuffed Pepper Recipe
Easy Cooking Idea: Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- 1 lb. beef cooked and drained
- 1 packet Taco Bell taco seasoning
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 cup of white instant rice
- 3 red bell peppers cut length wise in half and cleaned
- 2 cans Hunt's Tomato Sauce
- 1 can diced chiles
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of cheese
- sour cream to top
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Start by cooking your beef and adding taco seasoning. Cook both as directed.
- While beef is cooking prepare your instant rice either on the oven or in the microwave.
- Clean and cut 3 red peppers length wise and set aside.
- Open one can of black beans and drain well. When taco meat is ready, add black beans to meat mixture and turn heat down low.
- Add prepared rice to meat and bean mixture and set aside.
- In a saucepan add two cans of Hunt's Tomato Sauce, one can of diced chiles, and season with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder to taste.
- Pour half of the prepared sauce into the bottom of a 9x13 pan and place pepper halves on top of the mixture.
- Fill peppers with rice/meat/bean mixture, top with remaining tomato sauce mixture, then add cheese over top of the whole thing.
- Place in the oven to cook 30-45 minutes.
- When out of the oven, serve with a dollup of sour cream on top.
Pin it for later…
I love stuffed peppers! Thanks for the fun family recipe! #client
Wow, what a great idea – thanks for sharing!
That sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe!