Cane Chair Makeover & Craft Room Sneak Peek!

So do you guys remember WAY LONG ago when I purchased a cane chair off a Craigslist vendor for $45? No? You don’t remember??…yeah, it was back in September (hanging head in shame). It took me EIGHT MONTHS to get my act together and finish this chair. Part of it was being unable to make a decision on the fabric and part of it was sheer laziness…well, maybe not laziness as much as lack of motivation. I work full time, after all, so finding time can be difficult sometimes. BUT these past few weeks I have found the motivation to finish my chair BECAUSE I’m ALMOST finished with my craft room. I’m well aware I’ve said that for about 9-10 months so far, but I’m being honest…I’m down to punch list items!!

SO let’s take a look back at the cane chair BEFORE it’s makeover in all it’s poop brown glory….

And the sad thing?? The previous owners HAD made over this chair…GAH! In case you were wondering, that is straw rope wrapped around the chair as cording. It really was a glorious sight.

Here’s the AFTER!! (with my new camera…you can 100% see the difference in the photos, no?!)

Fabric was purchased on Etsy, but my seller doesn’t carry it anymore. Here‘s where you can find it now (Yellow/White Suzani Slub fabric)
So do you guys love it as much as I do?! And I’ll tell you what, it’s kind of perfect in my craft room… maybe you’d like a little sneak peak?????

Here’s my finished chair with the Urban Outfitters rug I purchased several months ago with the help of you guys and the overwhelming vote for the yellow (thanks for that!).

What are your thoughts?! I can’t wait to show you the finished room! I’m SOOOO close to being able to debut it! :)
Abbey

Comments

1. says

Cute cute cute!! Love the color scheme and that you used the phrase “poop brown”. That’s really the only way to describe that color, I agree :) Hugs! {Nat}

2. Anonymous says

I just bought a cane chair today and it has a gold velvet seat and tufted back. I don’t even know how to sew something like this. I’ve been toying with the idea all day to just leave it and spray the frame haha! (even though I hate the gold)

3. says

I almost bought chairs JUST like this a few months ago but they were already painted white with a HORRIBLE fabric on them. lol I couldn’t decide if I wanted them so I didn’t buy them but seeing yours makes me want to go back and see if they are still there!
    Thanks for linking up to this week’s Catch a Glimpse Party!

4. says

I love your make over. I am in the middle of a cane chair make over but need a new cushion pad and haven’t got around to finding one with a curved and flat edge. You have inspired me to get looking. Just visiting from Whipperberry

5. says

I have a similar cane chair that’s been sitting in my garage for a year…it’s totally painted white I just need to do the seat.

You’ve inspired my project tomorrow…thanks!

6. says

Great chair…I love it! I have a pillow in my living that same fabric. It’s one of my favorites, so lively. Also really like the sneak peaks of your craft room.

7. says

Wow! I almost picked up a set of those exact style chairs at my thrift store a few weeks ago but didn’t because I knew it would be a good year befor iwas ready to redo them! Love how yours turned out, totally regretting not getting them when I had the chance!
    Emily
    Domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

8. says

I just painted a brown cane chair white, but haven’t recovered the cushion yet. I think I just decided how I want to cover the cushion- in yellow and white fabric!! SO fun and fresh! I just about died when I saw the craft room sneak peek!! AMAZING!

I’ve pinned this! Thanks so much for linking up!

9. says

Beautiful! Your chair make-over is excellent. How did you make your piping? I love that your rug in your craft room matches your blog background! Coincidence? :) xoxo

Trackbacks