I’m REALLY excited to share with you guys the beginning of a big living room makeover I’m doing in my house!! To back up, if you’re new to my site, we’ve been living in our 1982 Ranch House for about three years now and our living room is what originally drew me to the house! It is very unique with vaulted ceilings and skylights, we have a large exposed brick pillar in the center of the room, and it’s open concept with the kitchen and the dining room right there. The floors are a blonde hardwood and there’s a pretty bay window that adds a lot of light to the space. For a small home, this room is the perfect space for my family to all be in the space space doing different things all at once, which is what we like best. With that said, I’ve definitely failed to make this space as stylish and “homey” as I’d like. I haven’t found any real clear direction with my style in this room and we’ve had the same furniture since my husband and I first moved in together (over 15 years ago). So we decided it was time for a grand living room makeover to really make this space ours and a showstopper for when guests come over.
As part of this project, I’m partnering with my friends at Morris Home Furniture to really take this space to the next level…and I’m SO excited to be sharing with you my four part Living Room Makeover series where you’ll get to weigh in on what we do!!
Here is the current state of my living room:
Nothing notable or glamorous, right? An uneven “gallery wall” that I instantly regretted after hanging it. Outdated tan furniture. A rug that I bought hoping to add a pop of color, but that almost overpowers the space. Sauder furniture that doesn’t look bad from afar, but up close the side tables are a mess. And overall no real style.
Living Room Inspiration
To start out, I thought I’d share with you some of my inspiration on the look I’m going for in this space and the overall style that I envision. To start though, I need to describe what this space is and is not.
- The style goal is to create a cozy, family gathering space
- I want a diverse color palette
- I like to mix wood, metal, and fabric textures (leather, tweed, velvet, cotton, etc.)
- The space design will be casual and “homey”, but stylish
Here’s some of my design inspiration ideas from some of my favorite style bloggers on Instagram:
You’ll notice some elements from each room that are pretty similar:
- Color (multi color rugs)
- Patterns (through the rugs, wall decor, and pillows)
- Textures (wood, leather, marble, metal, brick)
- Cozy vibe
- Eclectic (eyes drawn all over the room at different areas of interest)
So here’s my checklist of things I want to add to this room to make it truly what I envisioned:
- Add a gray sectional couch to the space (already done and ordered from Morris Home Furniture)
- Replace the rug with something that’s still colorful, but more subdued
- Add new lighting with smaller, gold or metal lamps
- Replace the trim in the bay window and paint it white. Take the curtains down
- Add frames around the TV and hide the cords in the wall
- Replace the TV console with something that’s more of a statement piece
- Add small side tables or nesting tables on either side of the (future) sectional
- Put an ottoman in the center of the sectional to create more storage and provide a cozy footrest
- Put a sofa table behind the sectional near the front door behind the sectional for additional interest
- Change out decor
- Panel large wall in living room with this tutorial
That’s a lot to do for one space, right?! But I’m so excited to get started.
I already purchased the sectional that we wanted and I’ll be sharing that next week. But I need YOUR help with designing the space! Morris Home Furniture has SO many options to choose from, so I really could use extra thoughts and opinions on the space!