This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and All You Magazine, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #lifeforless http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV.
I’m not gonna lie…I have a HARD time finding ways to mix meal time up. Our family has it’s staple dinners that include spaghetti (easy peasy), tacos (even easier), rigatoni (wait, how is that much different than spaghetti?!) and then…takeout. Since we’ve had the new baby in February, I’ve found it even harder to be creative with meal times despite my large group of recipes to pull from. So even being a creative blogger I still struggle with changing things up and trying new things regularly for my family. So while I was shopping at Meijer the other day, I grabbed a copy of All You Magazine and searched through it for some new meal time ideas! And when I found this Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese recipe I knew it would be perfect for my family!
The recipe is pretty simple, but they add a little flair to it with the green chiles and jalapenos and the corn chip topping. Being that my husband is from Texas, we like to try recipes with a little kick to them and this one was great without the heat that we worry about when feeding our four year old.
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. elbow macaroni
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 small onion chopped (we left that out)
- 2 jalapenos seeded and minced (I used canned jalapenos)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk, warmed
- 2 4-oz. cans of chopped chiles, drained (I used one can)
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar shredded
- 8 oz. pepper jack shredded
- 1 1/2 cups crushed corn chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bring a pot of water to boil and cook macaroni until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat and add onion and jalapenos, saute until soft, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour on top and cook for three minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly whisk in milk and raise heat to medium, bringing to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook for two minutes.
- Stir in chiles, 4 oz. of cheddar, and 8 oz. of pepper jack cheese. Cook until cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta to skillet and stir.
- Mist a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and pour pasta mixture in.
- In a bowl, combine crushed corn chips with the other 4 oz. of cheddar cheese and stir. Sprinkle mixture over pasta.
- Bake until bubbling and top is golden for 40-45 minutes.
The recipe seems a little daunting at first, but once you make it you’ll see how very straight forward it is and how tasty it is, as well. We made it and served it with sliced brisket, which made for the perfect warm spring day dinner!
Here it is before it headed into the oven…I did change the recipe slightly…I only used one can of green chiles instead of two, but in hindsight two would have been fine too. I also didn’t use onion (we hate onions in my family) and I used canned whole jalapenos rather than fresh because my hubby prefers pickled jalapenos when we’re making things. Other than that, I pretty much followed the recipe spot on.
The mac and cheese came out golden and bubbly…I loved the corn chip topping and even my son was enjoying it! It’s not too hot or spicy for your kids and it’s a nice take on the traditional mac and cheese!!
The great thing is that All You Magazine has TONS of other recipe ideas in store. I have about 10 new recipes I want to try from their magazine now that aren’t too hard for the regular mom to make…so no cooking classes or long drawn out recipes for me to try. They offer great, simple recipes for the every day mom to try out on her family! So now…I’m planning on sitting outside, enjoying the leftovers of my Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese and reading the rest of my All You Magazine for more recipe and crafting tips!
You can get YOUR own copy of All You Magazine while supplies last using THIS $1 off coupon too! It’s on stands in retail stores including Target, Safeway, Kroger, Dollar General and Meijer right now!
And to celebrate…we’re giving away a $50 Meijer gift card to ONE of you lucky readers today so not only can you grab your own copy of All You, but you can buy all the groceries you need to make some of their delicious recipes!! Enter using the form below!!